There is nothing fresher than serving up fish caught the same day right off your boat, and nothing more satisfying than harvesting your own delicious dinner.
Now let’s talk about specifics! Mahi has become spectacularly famous worldwide as a popular sportfish as well as a very tasty treat. Mahi are aggressive eaters that jump and shine bright with blue and green and flecks of gold, making them one of the most fun fish to catch; and guess what. They can be found right here in weed lines right off our Central Florida coast!
The flaky white meat of Mahi offers a delicate texture and taste that when paired with corn on the cob and a tomato-cucumber salad (or not) is a meal not soon forgotten. Perfect for the grill or skillet, Mahi provides a moderate fat content that is just enough to remain moist while cooking and a non-issue for the waistline conscious.
Speaking of a healthy, fabulous meal…Here’s a gluten- and sugar-free, low carb recipe that is sure to please a crowd with only about 30 minutes of prep time (found on livingchirpy.com):
Blackened Mahi Lettuce Tacos with Cajun Remoulade
Author: Roche Woodworth
For The Fish:
- 2 lb. mahi-mahi cut into 16 thin strips
- to taste blackened seasoning
- to taste salt and pepper
For The Sweet Slaw:
- 1 cup cabbage (thinly sliced)
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/4 fresh cilantro (chopped roughly)
For The Pico De Gallo:
- 2 Roma tomatoes (seeded and diced)
- 1/2 red onion (finely diced)
- 1/2 lime (just the juice)
- 1 jalapeño (seeded and diced)
For The Cajun Remoulade:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp capers
- 1 iceberg lettuce
- Season the Mahi with blackened seasoning, salt and pepper and sear on a hot pan, in a little bit of oil until cooked – about 4 minutes. Keep turning so each side gets seared.
- Mix the cabbage, vinegar, honey and rest of the cilantro. Set aside.
Pico De Gallo:
- Mix the tomato, red onion, lime juice, half of the cilantro and jalapeño. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Blend together the mayonnaise, Cajun seasoning, paprika, honey and capers until completely combined. Set aside.
- Add 2 strips of fish to each lettuce shells. Top with the slaw, pico de gallo and remoulade. And Enjoy!